A full range of investigations will help us to try and understand the cause of your infertility. Sometimes this might be obvious, for example very infrequent periods, but occasionally infertility may remain unexplained.
As a minimum we would usually need to perform the following:-
- An internal ultrasound scan to assess the size and shape of your womb and also give information regarding the size, activity and location of your ovaries
- An HSG (hysterosalpingogram) which is an X-Ray investigation. It involves injecting a small amount of dye which shows up on X-Ray films of the pelvis. This gives valuable information about the shape of the cavity of the womb and also whether the fallopian tubes are open.
- Hormonal profile – blood tests will help to tell us about whether you are ovulating and also to help assess how your ovaries are working (the reserve of your ovaries).
- A semen analysis for your partner (if applicable)
To prevent any unnecessary duplication it is useful if you can bring copies of any previous investigations for us to review.
After these investigations have been performed we will review your test results with you and see if there are any reasons why pregnancy may not be occurring. Depending upon the results of these tests we may suggest further investigations.
We also offer a full range of further investigations including:-
- Saline sonography
- Laparoscopy and hysteroscopy
- DNA sperm fragmentation
- Recurrent implantation failure screening
- Endometrial biopsy and ERA (endometrial receptivity array) plus endometrial scratch